Re: [htdig] Timeout not working? (fwd)

Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:31:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Patrick wrote:

> The problem is not trying to correct the server. I'm trying
> to get htdig to timeout properly. If it runs into a server
> that has a legal IP address, but is not up and running, it
> just hangs. I have the timeout value set to 10, and even

This has been mentioned before, but I've never been able to reproduce it.
So any information you can give me would help considerably. For example,
if you have gdb, you could run htdig under gdb like so:

gdb htdig
... [gdb copyright notice]
(gdb) set args -v -c [whatever]
(gdb) run
.. [htdig output]

Then when it hangs, type control-z to stop the program.

You'll get something like this:
Program received signal SIGTSTP, Stopped (user).
0x8055822 in SGMLEntities::init (this=0x80b2dd8)
    at ../../htdig3/htdig/SGMLEntities.cc:176
176 for (int i = 0; entities[i].entity; i++)
(gdb) bt
.. [backtrace]

The backtrace tells us where the hang occurred.