Re: [htdig] Local URL's

Gilles Detillieux (
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:48:31 -0500 (CDT)

According to
> my server was moved behind a firewall that does not allow http
> requests out.

Ouch! Is there a proxy server you can go through? If so, htdig can be
configured to use the proxy server.

> My htdig.conf file is as follows:
> The definitions are in one long line.
> start_url:
> limit_urls_to: ${start_url}
> # Particulars of local pages
> local_default_doc: index.html
> local_urls:
> I believe that this should force htdig to read the files without trying
> to make a http call.
> I run htdig 3.1.2

Unfortunately, right now htdig needs to establish an initial HTTP
connection with the server being indexed, even when you use local_urls.
It uses this to get the robots.txt file, or just check to see if there
is one. It also falls back on HTTP for any file that doesn't have a
.html, .htm or .txt suffix. There are plans to eventually allow totally
local indexing, without using HTTP at all, but it's not there yet.

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: