Re: [htdig] Timeout not working? (fwd)

Albert Desimone jr (bdesimon@arches.uga.edu)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:47:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi ...

   I have had the same thing happen to me twice. In each
   case, hardware problems on the responding server were the
   culprit. Also in each case, the server was slowly spoon-feeding
   information back to the digger ... a few bytes ... wait maybe as
   long as a minute ... a few bytes more. The first time it was
   a disk problem and the second time a NIC problem.

   What you can do is telnet to the problem server at port 80:

   telnet www.problem.com 80

   and send the command:

   GET / HTTP1.0

   Press ENTER twice. If you don't see a complete display of HTML
   source with a "connection closed" message, you may well have the
   same problem I saw.

   ht://Dig as a hardware diagnostic tool. Pretty weird.

-bd