Re: [htdig] suggestions for new PC?

Jeff Hill (jhill@hronline.com)
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:06:31 -0400

I too am looking to find a solution for HtDig on the hardware
side -- particularly from anyone who is running a large site.

However, I've been told that a lot of RAM ( >256MB) is not
necessarily a solution. Many motherboards, so an engineer told
me, cannot properly handle large amounts of RAM -- even though
they may have slots to allow for it. He said too much RAM on
these boards can actually slow the system down. I don't know if
the engineer was right or not.

My web server that htdig runs on (a P150 with 96MB of RAM) has
little traffic (22MB a day/ 2800 hits). HtDig has it's own 2GB
partition, but with 400MB in the DB directory, it takes 1-1/2
minutes for some searches.

While a separate server might be nice, and a separate, high-speed
SCSI drive dedicated to HtDig very helpful, it seems in my case
that a proper motherboard with 500MB or more of RAM on it would
be the most important. However, I'm still looking to verify this.

Thanks for any responses.

Jeff Hill

--
***********  Get your HR news delivered via e-mail weekly