Re: [htdig] Running htsearch from perl script

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:14:29 +0200

According to Krishna:
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to write a perl scrit that will execute htsearch.
>The problem i am having is , htsearch doesn't "see" the variable that
>is set by the script.
>
>When trying to execute the other program the environment is set
>correctly.
>
>What am i doing wrong ?
>
>The example below will always return:
>"no matches were found to "".
>
>i.e none of the env. parametrs are set correctly!
>
>#!/usr/bin/perl
>$ENV{restrict}="";
>$ENV{exclude}="";
>$ENV{words}="test";
>$ENV{method}="or";
>$ENV{config}="htdig";
>$ENV{format}="long";
>$ENV{lmatchesperpage}="15";
>system "htsearch";

You must set 2 evironment variables that are normally used only
by CGI: REQUEST_METHOD and QUERY_STRING. These variables must
be encoded according to URI standards.

If REQUEST_METHOD and QUERY_STRING are not set, htsearch will
default to interactive mode. I hacked up a patch to support
issueing query strings on the command line and Gilles wrote
a cleaner version that should now be in the CVS. You might
like to try a snapshot or wait for the next release of ht://Dig ,-)

hth,
  Torsten