Re: [htdig] Frameset problems

Jon Jensen (jon-dce@viscom.byu.edu)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:46:45 -0600

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Jon Jensen wrote:
>> Another feature MondoSearch has that's nice is categorization of search
>> results by site-defined categories. Has anyone else looked at this? Do a
>> search at http://www.newcity.com/newcity/ to see the method.
>
> That's an interesting idea. If anyone has any good ideas about
> implementation, that would be cool. Maybe base it on META tags or
> keywords?

They do it (as far as I understood anyway) strictly by URL, so the site has
to be organized well for it to work. For example,
http://whoever.com/bunnies/ = category "Bunnies" and
http://whoever.com/goats/ = category "Goats" etc. Which is a good way that
minimizes HTML author labor, and would serve most needs as long as some
bonus features such as overlapping categories, exceptional subdirectories,
etc. were available.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the frames issue. It doesn't seem like
it'd be that hard to make it work for simple framesets, and I'd be happy
ignoring nested frames. But it may be that the JavaScript methods are the
way to go. I'll check them out.

Jon