Re: [htdig] HTDig will not install properly at one site

Gilles Detillieux (
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:54:05 -0500 (CDT)

According to
> I've installed HTDig on several systems around here without problem until
> recently. These other installations are for the same documentation. We have
> one machine on which HTDig will not install properly. Below are the errors I
> am receiving:
> samiam:~/CIA/docs/htdig/bin >rundig
> htmerge: Unable to open word list file
> '/disk1/home/ddts/CIA/docs/htdig/db/db.wordlist'
> samiam:~/CIA/docs/htdig/bin >htdig -vvv -s
> Warning: unknown locale!
> 1:0:
> New server:, 80
> pushed
> pick:, # servers = 1
> htdig: Run complete
> htdig: 1 server seen:
> htdig: 0 documents
> I read through the archives but nothing matches what our problem may be.
> This address is available via the WWW. If I use an alternate web address it
> works fine. It is a local installation of Apache 1.3.6 with no robots.
> Please reply to

I've tried htdig out on your site, and the DNS lookup on it fails. It
seems that has MX records, but no A or CNAME records,
so I can't open a connection to it. I suspect that's the problem you're
having too. Oddly, htdig deals with this error quite silently, even
with several -v flags. I'll add a couple message to htdig/,
for when assign_server() fails.

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: