[htdig] leading hyphens (feature request)

Laura Wingerd (laura@perforce.com)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:57:40 -0700 (PDT)

Much of the technical info we're trying to index contains command
and command flag examples. To that end, it would be really useful
to be able to have leading hyphens (or any leading punctuation)
treated as part of a word, so users can get meaningful results with
searches on things like "jam -a" or "resolve -am".

The current htdig funtionality doesn't help with this, as far as
I can tell, because even if you put "-" in your valid_punctuation,
the token "-am" gets indexed as "am", which isn't what you want.

Other characters I can think of that have significance when they
appear as leading characters in a word are "/", "$", and "%".
E.g., searching for something like "cmd /x" or "%include" could be
useful for Wintel command reference docs, and searches for things
like "$path" or "$user" could be useful on Unix.

--Laura