Re: [htdig] changing minimum_word_length and updating

Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:07:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Gabriel Fenteany wrote:

> If I change the minimum_word_length from the default of 3 to 2, will an
> update indexing suffice or do I have to rebuild the database from scratch

You will need to do this. Remember, the *pages* haven't changed, so the
database will not update them. A good rule of thumb, if you've updated
your configuration that will affect your database, you'll need to rebuild
from scratch--otherwise the changes won't appear.

For those who might scream "but it takes so long to rebuild from scratch!"
should remember that the change Gabriel mentioned means finding *all* the
2 letter words in all the pages, so in the *optimal* case, you'll have to
revisit every page to make the change. Thus, you must reindex.

> (-i)? Also, does anyone have a feel for how much bigger the database gets
> with such a change (all other things being equal), and whether searching
> gets noticeably slower...

This depends considerably. As the documentation notes, if you make such a
change, you should *really* add most of the very common two-letter words
to the bad_words file to prevent these from happening. e.g. to, of, if,
as, in, so...