[htdig] Problem with german umlauts

Norbert Hartl (ruediger@penguins.de)
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:52:39 +0200

Hi,

let me first say that I love the way htdig works and all its features.
Yesterday I discovered a strange problem. I am indexing german pages
with htdig. After configuring the locale: de_DE.ISO-8859-1 into
htdig.conf and using a german endings db everything works fine.
In the search form I can use all of the german umlauts and htdig
finds the documents for it.
This works for the search form but not for the $(PAGELIST). When I am
typing an umlaut into a form it will be converted to %E4 (for ) in order
to pass it via URL.
In the PAGELIST there a URLs with an unconverted umlaut. This is leading
to a misbehaviour by the Mac Netscape. Using the URLs with the un-
converted umlaut there are no search results for this browser and a
scrumbled umlaut in the following search form.
Netscape on Linux and Windows are working with it (the versions I
have for testing).
Is this misinterpreted by the Macintosh? Any ideas?
Is there are workaround for converting this entities for the URLs in
the PAGELIST?

Thanks in advance

Norbert