Re: [htdig] is it possible to limit which section of the documentis stored in the db as the head?

Joseph Cheek (joseph@cheek.com)
Wed, 26 May 1999 11:59:48 -0700

hello,

it appears that the problem lies in how htdig processes update digging. i
had changed the html so that the htdig_noindex tags were there and ran an
update dig, which still gave me the navbar in the results. running an
initial dig [htdig -i] now gives me correct results.

is this a bug, or by design? i would expect update digging to reindex the
pages, since they had been modified since the initial dig.

as further consequence of this update-vs-initial dig problem, i have a web
site that continually adds new pages to the site. update digs never see the
new pages. i am therefore reindexing using initial digging, which i think
may place unnecessary strain on my server [as many of the pages have not
changed, why reindex them?], especially since the db is rebuilt EVERY HOUR.
this is a usenet to html gateway, url is http://linuxnews.cheek.com. it can
be searched from http://linuxkb.cheek.com, entering a search term searches
the kb database with a link to search the usenet database.

please help.

thanks!

joe
      ___ ___
   __ | |_ __ __ | |_ __ __ _____ * Joseph Cheek, Director
  / _)| \ / _) / _)| _) / _) / \ | | * joseph@cheek.com or
    Cheek Consulting, Seattle, provides Linux and Internet solutions
   linux * web commerce * html * java * perl * php * informix * mysql