Re: [htdig] New compile problem

Wed, 26 May 1999 13:34:21 -0500 (CDT)

According to Laura Wingerd:
> I got a clean build of htdig-3.1.2 on FreeBSD 2.2.8 by taking
> -D_THREAD_SAFE out of CPPFLAGS, and setting LIBS to null, in
> db/dist/configure.
>
> (This will probably have horrible runtime repercussions,
> but I figure I can burn that bridge when I get to it.)

Right now, htdig is still single-threaded, so I wouldn't expect any
nasty repercussions.

Scott's description didn't ring a bell, but when you brought up threads,
it reminded me of a problem I had when first trying to get ht://Dig
3.1.0b1 compiled on Red Hat Linux 4.2. Back then, a default compile
option in the Makefile was "-ggdb", which seemed to cause some threading
stuff to be brought in during the link phase. This caused a problem
with the "db" package, which was compiled without threading, so during
the link, it complained that errno was not defined. (errno can't be a
single global variable in thread-safe code, so errno.h kludges it up to
be an entity that's unique to each thread.)