[htdig] New compile problem

Scott I. Remick (scott@computeralt.com)
Wed, 26 May 1999 11:04:00 -0400

I posted this to the list on 5/13 but got 0 responses. Perhaps there were
technical difficulties and my message didn't go out. Perhaps no one on the
list had any thoughts then but there's someone on it now who does. But one
way or another, for the lack of finding the answer yet myself (and the fact
that I'm not the only one having this problem now), I post again:

-----------<snip>------------

c++ -c -DDEFAULT_CONFIG_FILE=\"/usr/local/www/htdig/conf/htdig.conf\"
-I../htlib -I../htcommon -I../db/dist -I../include -g -O2 Prefix.cc
c++ -o htfuzzy -L../htlib -L../htcommon -L../db/dist -L/usr/lib Endings.o
EndingsDB.o Exact.o Fuzzy.o Metaphone.o Soundex.o SuffixEntry.o Synonym.o
htfuzzy.o Substring.o Prefix.o
./htcommon/libcommon.a ../htlib/libht.a ../db/dist/libdb.a -lz
os_alloc.o: Undefined symbol `___error' referenced from text segment
os_alloc.o: Undefined symbol `___error' referenced from text segment
os_alloc.o: Undefined symbol `___error' referenced from text segment
os_alloc.o: Undefined symbol `___error' referenced from text segment
os_alloc.o: Undefined symbol `___error' referenced from text segment
os_alloc.o: Undefined symbol `___error' referenced from text segment
os_alloc.o: Undefined symbol `___error' referenced from text segment
os_alloc.o: Undefined symbol `___error' referenced from text segment
os_dir.o: Undefined symbol `___error' referenced from text segment
os_fid.o: More undefined symbol ___error refs follow
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I initially had libc_r issues when trying to compile ht://dig, traced it
down to libc_r not being automatically present in the version of FreeBSD I
use (2.2.2). So I fetched the sources for libc and libc_r, built and
installed both, and was able to get much further in the compile of ht://dig
than before. This is the newest problem, probably unrelated, but wanted to
give you some recent history just in case.

Thanks!