Re: [htdig] Opinion of Microsoft Index Server and Netscape Compass

nets@searchtools.com
Mon, 24 May 1999 09:30:14 -0700

At 9:52 AM -0500 5/18/1999, Dan Dexter wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I am currently using htDig as the search engine software on a web
>server that I maintain.
>
>I've been asked to look at possible commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS)
>search engine software solutions as a replacement to htDig.
>
>Specifically, what is everyone's opinion of Microsoft Index Server and
>Netscape's Compass product? I'm looking for Pros and Cons on their
>use and limitations, preferably from people who have experience with
>these products.

Why do you need a different engine? Just because ht://Dig is free
and open source? As the leading industry analyst for web site and
intranet search tools, I can assure you and your company that it's as
good as most of the commercial software and better than some
expensive packages! The only reasons I can think of to switch would
be if you want a browser-based administration interface, you index so
many pages that the server is getting slow, or you want to do
something that is against the license agreement.

I found Index Server to be extremely annoying and badly designed.
It's full of cryptic codes and the defaults are fairly awful. For
site searching, ht://Dig beats the pants off of it!

I haven't used Netscape Compass but my impressions are not hugely
favorable. Several users have complained to me that it's flaky and
unstable. However it has a nice system of linked remote databases
and excellent documentation.

Other heavy-duty options include AltaVista Search Intranet (which can
index public sites as well), Ultraseek, and Thunderstone Webinator.
They're all really expensive, but they can index millions of pages.

Come take a look at my site, <http://www.searchtools.com> where I
have lots of info on these topics.

Avi

PS - despite my name and Geoff's assumptions, I'm female ;-)