Re: [htdig] Pb running the 'rundig' script on Linux - bis

Thu, 20 May 1999 13:26:55 -0500 (CDT)

According to Tracey Maru:
> My system was able to index www.htdig.org, it was usiong the -vvv that
> stoped it. When I ran rundig with -vv it worked fine. With -vvv I saw all
> the pages and words that it was indexing it just failed to make the db, the
> extra v is causing one of the programs to exit.

Hi again. I just reread your e-mail message of two days ago in the
mailing list archive. I see you're running Linux from the Slackware
3.6 distribution. I'm not familiar with that distribution, but it
either uses libc5 or glibc (libc6) as the C library. Neither of these
has an strptime function with the problem that has been observed on some
other OSes. Not to my knowledge, anyway, so I don't think this is the
cause of your indexing run aborting prematurely when you use -vvv.

However, unlike Anne-Marie, who had a problem with
/home/httpd/html/db/db.wordlist not being created (because
htdig failed to find anything), the problem you reported was that
/usr/local/htdig/db/db.words.db was not being created, either because
htmerge was aborting or not being run at all. (In ht://Dig versions
up to 3.1.2, htdig generates db.wordlist and db.docdb, while htmerge
generates db.words.db and db.docs.index.) So I think we have to look
at your problem separately from hers.

When you ran with -vvv, are you sure you ran rundig -vvv, and not
htdig -vvv? The rundig script runs htdig, followed by htmerge and
htfuzzy. If you just run htdig, without htmerge afterward, it would
explain why your db.words.db was missing.