Re: [htdig] problems with accents

Philippe Riviere (Philippe.Riviere@Monde-diplomatique.fr)
Thu, 20 May 1999 14:43:06 +0200

>>1) some browsers don't like URLs containing accentuated letters (it would
>>be better to have them escaped). This happens in the results page when your
>>search of an accentuated word yields many results : the 1 2 3 4 5 next
>>links contain accents
>
>It would certainly be better to not have accentuated letters in URLs
>in general. IMHO this is more a matter of proper naming of document
>files than of having search engines recognizing them. I'd bet you'll
>go into trouble with that with more than just ht://Dig..

True. But htsearch itself generates URLs poiting back to itself ("go to

>>2) searching "étude" does not yield "etudes" and vice-versa. I'd prefer
>>it to.
>>

>Look at ht://Dig documentation, set your locale to a proper value
>(probably fr_FR), get a french dictionary and affix rule file for
>the endings algorithm and re-index your site.

locale is currently set to fr_FR ; is there something else to add ?

>>* I patched Display.cc for a presentation glitch (in my view) : the 1 2 3 4
>This patch will mess up the displayed search results on non-graphical
>browsers like Lynx.

I do pay attention to the lynx display (mostly for vision-deficient
customers). And this patch does mess (as far as I have noticed) with the
lynx browser. See for yourself at http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/

-- Philippe Riviere <Philippe.Riviere@monde-diplomatique.fr>
    Le Monde diplomatique http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/
    21b, rue Claude-Bernard 75005 Paris tel: 33 1 42 17 37 46

Le Monde diplomatique in English: http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/en/