Re: [htdig] problems with accents

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Thu, 20 May 1999 11:59:51 +0200

According to Philippe Riviere:
>Hi,
>
>* two problems arise with accents :
>
>1) some browsers don't like URLs containing accentuated letters (it would
>be better to have them escaped). This happens in the results page when your
>search of an accentuated word yields many results : the 1 2 3 4 5 next
>links contain accents

It would certainly be better to not have accentuated letters in URLs
in general. IMHO this is more a matter of proper naming of document
files than of having search engines recognizing them. I'd bet you'll
go into trouble with that with more than just ht://Dig..

>2) searching "étude" does not yield "etudes" and vice-versa. I'd prefer it to.

Look at ht://Dig documentation, set your locale to a proper value
(probably fr_FR), get a french dictionary and affix rule file for
the endings algorithm and re-index your site.

>* I patched Display.cc for a presentation glitch (in my view) : the 1 2 3 4
>5 images are separated by a space which can be ugly (depending on the
>images you use) ; I've suppressed that space in the code, but it would be
>nicer to have this as an option (and this is something I don't know how to
>do).
>
>-- lines (Display.cc v 3.1.2) were
>504: *str << p << ' ';
>514: *str << tmp << "\">" << p << "</a> ";
>
>patch:
>504: *str << p ;
>514: *str << tmp << "\">" << p << "</a>";

This patch will mess up the displayed search results on non-graphical
browsers like Lynx. The space emitted by htsearch certainly has its
reason!

Many people nowadays are unaware of the use of non-graphical browsers.
In fact they are widely used - mainly for administrative purposes on
intranets.. and this is where ht://Dig is also used to make up search
angines for local documentation.

As htsearch cannot determine beforehand what browser requests the query,
the space character is therefore obviously necessary.

cheers,
  Torsten