Re: [htdig] indexing dem cyrillic letters along w/ latin ones

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Wed, 19 May 1999 09:37:53 +0200

According to Max Pyziur:
>Greetings All,
>
>I'm still a newbie to ht://dig. I've installed it both on my home Linux
>box (RPMs on RedHat 5.2) and on our server (running Solaris 2.6; yes, had
>to find the necessary libstdc++ library and get a copy of gnu-make; the
>address of the website is http://www.brama.com; our first uses of ht://dig
>can be found at http://www.brama.com/search.html). I'm still in testing
>mode and haven't begun to try and index the whole server, just one or two
>directories. Our problem is that our website is trilingual - more than 50%
>English, the rest mostly Ukrainian, with a bit here and there in Russian.
>The other problem is that the Character set we're using for the Ukrainian
>and Russian language pages is CP1251, not KOI8 (the Unix guy's and gal's
>favorite). This is because CP1251 exists in one form whereas KOI8 exists
>in several (KOI8-R, KOI8-U, KOI8-RU), all overlapping on a core set of
>characters, but differing on about five or six, making use of any variant
>of KOI8 just a bit unnerving.
>
>I've seen the references to dictionaries available at
>http://fmg-www.cs.ucla.edu/fmg-members/geoff/ispell-dictionaries.html and
>have picked up the Russian one ( pretty much of a cinch to change Russian
>koi8 to cp1251); however, does anyone know of Ukrainian dictionairies?

Not yet - Ukrainian is not very widely used in other countries than Ukrania
itself, I think. Maybe you can get some information at the computer sience
or math divisions of Ukranian universities? At least this would be where I
tried to look for this since there is a good chance that the people there
could use iSpell for checking TeX documents.

>Last, do the compilations of ht://dig have to be done separately for each
>language (clearly a newbie question).

No. Setting the "locale" directive in the configuration file should be
sufficient.

hth,
  Torsten