Re: [htdig] Opinion of Microsoft Index Server and Netscape Compass

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Wed, 19 May 1999 09:14:52 +0200

According to Albert Desimone jr:
>On Tue, 18 May 1999, Walter Hafner wrote:
>
>> Biggest plus of Compass: It recognizes Server aliases and virtual
>> hosts. I asked for that feature in ht://Dig about three months ago -
>> nothing yet. :-) Okok - I understand, that 3 months is _nothing_ in
>> software development. In the meantime I programmed a little workaround.
>>
>This is primarily for my own edification regarding virtual hosts, but
>ht://Dig seems to work just fine with "hard" (IP-based) virtual
>hosts at version 3.1.2. I can't speak for "soft" (name-based) virtual
>hosts (don't use 'em).

We have no problems with virtual hosts since at least ht://Dig 3.0.8b2,
neither ip-based nor name based.

As for server aliases, I regard them as just a kludge for misconfigured
servers in most cases. The only cases I can think of where server aliases
are useful is, where you have multiple hosts with the same contents in
different, i.e. remote, networks which you cannot control directly.
Alas, this can be handled quite flexible in a Perl or PHP wrapper using
regular expression search and replace. I think it will also quite easy
to implement in the new ht://Dig versions where regex will be available.

Graphical configuration as mentioned for compass is somehow nice.. maybe
someone will contribute some CGI based config tool sooner or later?

regards,
  Torsten