Re: [htdig] Opinion of Microsoft Index Server and Netscape Compass

Tue, 18 May 1999 17:20:35 -0400

At 4:31 PM -0400 5/18/99, Albert Desimone jr wrote:

>Also, and this is the part that is a little confusing to me, I can set
>'allow_virtual_hosts' to 'false' and the hard virtual host will still
>be indexed. (Again, don't know about the soft variety.)

To an indexer like ht://Dig, 'hard' virtual hosts are easy to deal
with--different names, different IPs, must be different sites. It couldn't
care less if they happen to come from the same machine. 'Soft' virtual
hosts are a bit more difficult, but this is why there's an
'allow_virtual_hosts' option--it tries to deal with name-based virtual
hosts.

>to have had a problem with (just as a non-HTTP/1.1 savvy browser would
>have). All the more reason that hard is better, even if more
>difficult to set up.

Unless anyone shows me server traces otherwise, ht://Dig will do just fine
with these virtual hosts by default. It will send a 'Host:' header with
every request, and so far I haven't heard of servers complaining at the use
of this HTTP/1.1 header.

What Walter Hafner is asking for is probably better termed server aliases,
or duplicate hostnames. He has multiple names for the same host
(essentially 'soft' virtual hosting), but these do not always correspond to
different sites. So he'd like to have ht://Dig realize that the names are
different, but the sites are the same. Yes, we already have a
server_aliases feature, but what he wants (rightly so) is for a more
automatic solution to the problem. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here
Walter.)

Never fear--It's not as easy as we'd like, but I, for one, want general
duplicate page elimination in the next release. So it will be in there. :-)