Re: [htdig] Opinion of Microsoft Index Server and Netscape Compass

Walter Hafner (hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de)
Tue, 18 May 1999 18:16:06 +0200 (METDST)

Geoff Hutchison writes:

> On Tue, 18 May 1999, Dan Dexter wrote:
>
> > Specifically, what is everyone's opinion of Microsoft Index Server and
> > Netscape's Compass product? I'm looking for Pros and Cons on their
> > use and limitations, preferably from people who have experience with
> > these products.
>
> I do not have experience with either product. However, I (and probably
> others) would be interested in the opinions you receive. If you would be
> willing to summarize them and send the summary to the list or to me, I'd
> appreciate it.

About half a year ago I did an extensive comparison between Compass
3.0.1, ht://Dig 3.1b2, PLWeb 3.0 and Thundersone Webinator and
summarized the results in

http://tum-index.www.ze.tu-muenchen.de/nocompass.html

(Webinator is not in the page) Now, that's the good news.

The bad news: It's all in German.

Even worse: I don't have time to translate the page.

The bottomline: Compass does everything, that ht://Dig
does. Configuration (graphicel) is easier, albeit more
limited. Filtering in Compass is much more sophisticated (file types,
mime types, titles, URLs) than filtering in ht://Dig (URLs).

Biggest plus of Compass: It recognizes Server aliases and virtual
hosts. I asked for that feature in ht://Dig about three months ago -
nothing yet. :-) Okok - I understand, that 3 months is _nothing_ in
software development. In the meantime I programmed a little workaround.

A minus for Compass is the proprietary database format.

The biggest minus for Compass is the price. The average non commercial
site simply can't pay it. Informations under
http://home.netscape.com/servers/pricing/

The price was the main reason for us to stay with ht://Dig

> You may also find Avi Rappoport's excllent Search Tools site
> <http://www.searchtools.com/> useful. He recently did a survey comparison
> of a variety of products. (I'm still wondering what's missing for the
> people who rated ht://Dig as "better than nothing" and "not thorough
> enough," but oh well.)

I can't speak for others, but I'm sure you know _my_ needs by now. At
least I ask often enough. :-)

- server aliases
- continous indexing (Compass does that, btw,)
- better URL filtering for index occlusion
- an "include" option for file types instead of the existing "exclude"
  option.

come to mind.

Don't get me wrong: I think, ht://Dig is an impressive piece of
software. Still, I want to use the most appropriate indexing tools for
our site. Currently, it's ht://Dig. If Netscape gives away Compass for
free again - like they did until Nov 98 - I'll switch to Compass.

Bye,

-Walter

--
Walter Hafner__________________________________ hafner@in.tum.de