Re: [htdig] local uses?

Wed, 12 May 1999 10:51:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Torsten Neuer wrote:

> No, it will not. This is because you'll have to put an executable on the
> CD version of that site, too - but for what operating system and library
> versions? You could fill half of the CD with just OS support... please

Yes and no. Remember that many people intend on Win32 applications, which
can be helped with the CygWin package. You'll still need to have *some*
space on the CD unless each machine already has CygWin. (Or if you use
Linux laptops...) We're talking about someone making a database CD
available to employees. I would assume the OS is relatively constant.

> And then, please don't forget about the browser which must be able to
> execute a CGI request from a file:// URL - AFAIK none of the browsers
> do this and they'll probably never will since this is a security issue

Who needs a CGI request? That would imply you're running a server too.
Remember that you can run htsearch as an executable.

Also remember I said it would be *helped*. Right now it's completely
unrealistic because you can't index file:// URLs. The other
issues you mention are problems, but *completely* irrelevant before that
is solved.