Re: [htdig] local uses?

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Wed, 12 May 1999 15:52:17 +0200

According to Geoff Hutchison:
>At 4:10 PM -0400 5/11/99, eli wendkos wrote:
>>Can htdig be used locally? i.e. I want to create a working copy of my
>>website, which uses htdig (and works very well, I might add!) and burn it
>>onto a cd for my sales force to use. Is this possible? If so, how would
>>I go about doing it, and what changes would I need to make?
>
>I'm afraid not. This kind of problem will become easier when ht://Dig
>recognizes file:// urls.

No, it will not. This is because you'll have to put an executable on the
CD version of that site, too - but for what operating system and library
versions? You could fill half of the CD with just OS support... please
don't think that just using this totally unstandardized language called
"Java" will change this - you'll still have to configure for a platform
and the underlying libraries.

And then, please don't forget about the browser which must be able to
execute a CGI request from a file:// URL - AFAIK none of the browsers
do this and they'll probably never will since this is a security issue
(you could then execute some arbitrary commands by just putting in a
file:// URL in _any_ HTML document - imagine having a web site that
includes something like "file://rm -r -f /").

regards,
  Torsten