Re: [htdig] Release questions

Wed, 12 May 1999 08:51:45 -0400

At 12:07 AM -0400 5/11/99, Gabriel Fenteany wrote:

>I was just wondering about when the next release is planned (approx.) and
>what new features will *probably* be going into it. I'd completely
>understand if you don't want to say too much for fear of building
>expectations. Particularly, is phrase searching expected in the next
>release? I know it's high on the list of to-dos.

I really can't even give a rough guess of when 3.2 might come out, though
certainly not before the end of the summer. As the maintainer, I have a
rough idea of features. Yes, phrase searching is planned, as well as some
significant changes to the database structure. I'd also like to see more
flexibility in transport protocols with the use of 'ExternalTransport'
scripts that would let you retrieve files by gopher, https, etc. and pass
them back to ht://Dig.

>One more thing - fuzzy searching is probably the most esoteric of search
>topics in some ways, especially soundex and metaphone. Is there a chance

This is a bit ironic. Periodically, I go through published works (papers,
web sites, books) on fuzzy matching. Frequently when soundex and metaphone
come up, ht://Dig seems to be mentioned. But there are some good resources
on them, including pages that let you see the codes generated by particular
words.

Soundex: http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/Genea/soundex.sh
Metaphone: http://www.lanw.com/java/phonetic/default.htm