[htdig] passing SSI variable to htsearch

Greg (greg@pix.za)
Wed, 12 May 1999 07:08:14 +0200

Hi Guys,

Sorry RTF mucked up the last one. Here goes again.

Hi There again,

Ok Thank you very much. I really do appreciate the input so far.
It has helped me tremendously.

I think I have a basic idea of what and how it's done, but please can you
forgive my inexperience and go one step further.

I have now modified the contrib htwrap script by John Grohol to include the
random banner generation with image, alt and url info. I then modified the
$ENV{'QUERY_STRING'} to include the variable $bannerad as follows:
"config=$config&restrict=$restrict&exclude=$exclude&word=$squery&method
=$method&format=$format&page=$page&bannerad=$bannerad";

This prints to the screen ok just before the script calls htsearch. I also
included a $bannerad reference in header.html and modified the necessary
html call to the new cgi with GET instead of POST. The search works great,
but the problem I have now is htsearch still doesn't seem to recognize the
variable for output in header.html. What am I missing or how do I pass the
variable to htsearch?

Your input is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Greg

> According to Greg:
> > I am battling to get the hang of the SSI in the results. Are there
> > sample scripts that can show a newbie how to setup a simple script to
> > call the htsearch. At present I run a simple random banner script that
> > is called by <!--#exec cmd="banner.cgi"--> within the html document. I
> > would at all possible like to use this script as it contains all the
> > necessary images, URL and ALT tags. I am running Apache 1.3.4 on
Linux
> > machine. I would assume I could add to this script to call the
> > htsearch.
>
> Definitely one for the FAQ...
>
> While htsearch doesn't currently provide a means of doing SSI on its
> output, or calling other CGI scripts, it does have the capability (since
> 3.1.0b3) of using environment variables in templates.
>
> The easiest way to get rotating banners in htsearch is to replace htsearch
> with a wrapper script that sets an environment variable to the banner
> content, or whatever dynamically generated content you want. Your script
> can then call the real htsearch to do the work. You'd then need to
> reference that environment variable in header.html (or wrapper.html if
> that's what you're using), to indicate where the dynamic content should be
> placed.
>
> If the dynamic content is generated by a CGI script, your new wrapper
> script which calls this CGI would then have to strip out the parts that
> you don't want embedded in the output (headers, some tags) so that only
> the relevant content gets put into the environment variable you want.
> You'd also have to make sure this CGI script doesn't grab the POST data or
> get confused by the QUERY_STRING contents intended for htsearch.
>
> Your wrapper script can be written as a shell script, or in perl, C,
> C++, or whatever you feel comfortable using.
>
> An alternative approach is to have a cron job that periodically
> regenerates a different header.html or wrapper.html with the new banner
> ad, or changes a link to a different pregenerated header.html or
> wrapper.html file.
>
> --
> Spinal Cord Research Centre WWW:
> http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/~grdetil Dept. Physiology, U. of Manitoba
> Phone: (204)789-3766 Winnipeg, MB R3E 3J7 (Canada) Fax:

HandMade SoftWare
M-Web Garden Route South Africa
http://www.handmade.co.za
greg@handmade.co.za