Re: [htdig] Greek Support

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Wed, 12 May 1999 08:52:17 +0200

According to Oikonomides Andreas:
>I would like to ask you if the program can support Greek search words?
>Thank you and I'm waiting for your mail.

This should work without problems if you

a) set the proper locale value in your htdig.conf (e.g. "locale: gr_GR").
b) setup a dictionary of greek words and a grammar for the greek language
   to generate the database needed for the "endings" algorithm.

Of course, you can use ht://Dig without the "endings" stuff, too, but I
think this is less useful.

You can find a dictionary and grammar file at
http://fmg-www.cs.ucla.edu/fmg-members/geoff/ispell-dictionaries.html

The dictionary you get there normally needs a little work to generate
a "greek.0" file for ht://Dig ("cat *|sort|uniq >lang.0" will be enough
in most cases). Aterwards, edit you htdig.conf to use the new dictionary
and affix file as well as customize some output stuff.

hth,
  Torsten