Re: [htdig] Make Bombs [htfuzzy]

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Tue, 11 May 1999 08:42:23 +0200

According to Bill & Kim:
>I'll try one more time...:)
>
>Hi,
>
>I had this problem before and it has prevented me from upgrading. Somewhere
>along
>the line, the new releases changed something so it now bombs. During
>the make I get this and it bombs (the server is FreeBSD 2.1 and gcc 2.7)
>
>os_map.o: Undefined symbol _shmdt referenced from text segment
>os_map.o: Undefined symbol _shmctl referenced from text segment
>os_map.o: Undefined symbol _shmget referenced from text segment
>os_map.o: Undefined symbol _shmat referenced from text segment
>
>Make [1]: *** [htfuzzy] Error 1
>Make [1] Leaving directory
>make *** [all] Error 1
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

Os_map is an object module from the database library and (optionally)
requires sysv shared memory stuff. The configure script for the lib
appears to check for the proper header files to be available and emits
#define HAVE_SHMGET to the configure header. On many systems the
above mentioned subroutines appear as part of the C library. Maybe
the setup is different on your system and is not detected by configure.

Possible solutions might be:

a) Check your system libraries for where the above subroutines reside
   (possibly something like libshm.a or the like), manually edit the
   Makefile (for htfuzzy) to require linkage of this library and re-
   link.

b) If (a) does not work, manually edit the configuration header for
   the database library to #undef HAVE_SHMGET and recompile all.

hth,
  Torsten

P.S.: It would be nice if you could tell more about the stuff after
you solved the problem, so that someone is able to patch the configure
script to include the necessary checks.