[htdig] metadata

Gabriel Fenteany (fenteany@calvin.bwh.harvard.edu)
Wed, 05 May 1999 08:39:49 -0400

Hi. I am forwarding a message I received about htdig. Could anyone help me
with answer some of these questions? As I understand, htdig can use
"keywords" in the fashion of AltaVista as well as htdig-keywords. Is there
any hope of implementing more meta names, so that the Dublin Core can also
be used by htdig to find relevant pages?

Thanks much!

Gabriel

------------

Hi Gabriel,

> the main factors that go into relevance and ranking of search results
> are things I have no control over but you most certainly do. I am
> referring to words in tags and metatags that carry different weights.

I looked at the htdig documentation and it appears that one has to use
the indexing robot with explicit keywords.

We already have to use <meta name="keywords"
content=CommaSeparatedListOfWords>
to provide AltaVista's indexing robot with keywords. The Dublin core
suggests
the use of the name "Subject" to stipulate keywords for a resource, i.e.

I know this is not your fault, but this is most unfortunate. Should VL
members
use all three syntaxes in their documents, to satisfy the three
contradicting
requirements? Is there any way we could influence the htdig people into
using either AltaVista's or the Dublin Core's conventions?

Peace,

Bertrand.

--
Gabriel Fenteany, Ph.D.