Re: [htdig] missing excerpts

Mon, 3 May 1999 11:28:06 -0500 (CDT)

According to Nathaniel Irons:
> The culprit in the missing excerpts problem was the compression_level
> resource, set to 6, which I tossed in out of general concern for disk usage,
> and then promptly forgot about. Removing it put everything back to normal.
>
> Considering that this resource compresses the file which holds the excerpts, I
> suppose this behavior is not without reason, but is it deliberate? If so, I
> suggest an additional sentence in the "compression_level" blurb in the docs.

Making the excerpts disappear is certainly not deliberate. This would
suggest that the compression/decompression code is not working properly
on your FreeBSD system.

If this code were working correctly, I can see no reason why it would
make them disappear. Even if you change your compression level, the
database should indicate which excerpts are compressed and which aren't,
and at which compression level, so the way I read the code, you shouldn't
even need to rebuild from scratch when you change the compression level.
It'll use the new level for any updated entries.

The only exception to this I can see is if you set the level back down
to 0 (or remove the attribute), right now it turns off both compression
and decompression. I see this as a bug -- it really should leave
decompression enabled, to handle any existing entries that are compressed.

So, who would like to debug this on FreeBSD?