Re: [htdig] $(MODIFIED) mystery

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Sat, 1 May 1999 14:40:42 +0200

According to Geoff Hutchison:
>At 7:05 PM -0400 4/30/99, Michael Boer wrote:
>>started experimenting with the "sort by time" feature; we noticed that
>>all the PDF files were being grouped together at the top of the results.
>>
>>What should I be looking for to fix this???
>
>I'm going to guess you're using server-parsed or CGI-generated HTML. In
>that case, Apache (correctly) does not send a Last-Modified: header. There
>may be an option to make it do this, but you can also have the CGI output
>the header manually.
>
>(This should be in the FAQ. Anyone know if there's an Apache option to
>force the header?)

For PHP/3: php3_last_modified: on/off

Others should be configurable via mod_header using the Header directive.

Of course, this all depends also on some other stuff.. server-parsed HTML
and CGI generated HTML may depend on other files than their own, i.e. you
need a time-stamp out of a database _and_ the modification date of the
servlet that does the action, so a server configuration option might output
junk and result in erroneous cacheing of the page (i.e. the server returns
the last_modified for the servlet but not for the data it outputs -> proxy
caches might then return an old version of this page).

If using server-side applications, the last_modified header should therefore
be returned by the application and not by the server.

regards,
  Torsten