[htdig] merge -m efficiencies

Nathaniel Irons (irons@espresso.hampshire.edu)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:36:33 -0700

I'm just recently chosen my current ISP, pair networks, and I'm having to make
some adjustments to stay under the radar of their process zapper. It's a
little odd to have to learn to think about processor time the same way one
economizes bandwidth, but a useful exercise.

This situation has me I'm wondering about the results of a database merged by
-m. Is it likely to exhibit characteristics (like greater access speed, or
disk space requirements) not found in a DB assembled in a single shot? Might
they develop over time? Is there a reason to plan for an periodic total
rebuild?

thanks!

  -nat