Re: [htdig] Converting Keyword Spaces in Results for Linking

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:04:15 -0500 (CDT)

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 4:16 PM -0400 4/30/99, NetCent Pub wrote:
> >For an IE user, this wouldn't be a problem, IE would automatically convert the
> >space to a %20 and the engine works with that too. But if the user is running
> >Netscape, the space wouldn't be converted, and the results would be skewed.
> >
> >Any idea on how to accomplish this?
>
> I think your best bet is to write a small Perl or PHP "wrapper" for the
> search results and change the spaces using the wrapper. For a Perl example,
> see the files in contrib/ewswrap
>
> For a PHP wrapper, I'll be uploading one contributed by Torsten Neuer this
> evening to the contrib section of the website.

Ultimately, I think it would be great to extend the variable substitution
mechanism for templates to allow substitutions of URL-encoded forms of any
variable. E.g. something like:

        $(WORDS) - unencoded
        $%(WORDS) - URL-encoded
        $&(WORDS) - SGML-encoded