[htdig] Converting Keyword Spaces in Results for Linking

NetCent Pub (pub@netcent.com)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:16:42 -0400

Hi Folks,

I've poured through the htdig site trying to find an answer on this one to no
avail, so hopefully someone knows how (if) it can be done.

On the search results pages created by htdig, I need to replace the space
between words in the search term for linking purposes. For example, say you run
a search on "summer vacations". On your search results page, you can drop
"summer vacations" anywhere you like, using $(WORDS). What I want to do (for
sake of example) is to include direct URLs on the search results page to other
directories that the user could search on that term with a single click.

If I wanted to include a link on the results page like "Search AltaVista for
summer vacations" I would need to use the url:

http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&kl=XX&q=summer+vacations

However, if I use $(WORDS) to drop the keywords into the URL, the result would
be

http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&kl=XX&q=summer vacations

For an IE user, this wouldn't be a problem, IE would automatically convert the
space to a %20 and the engine works with that too. But if the user is running
Netscape, the space wouldn't be converted, and the results would be skewed.

Any idea on how to accomplish this?

Doug Archell