Re: [htdig] Bad Pathname in htsearch output

Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:56:07 -0500 (CDT)

According to Douglas Kline:
> When I run htsearch, it applies the default pathname for the stars which are
> printed after each match to show how close the match is, /htdig/star.gif. This
> pathname is not defined here and the 'alt="*"' doesn't seem to take effect and
> the result is that a better match is confusingly marked by a list of question
> marks.
>
> I have the definition for IMAGE_URL_PREFIX set to the correct value of
> "http://hea-www.harvard.edu/HEADDIG" in the CONFIG file used at compilation
> time and the correct pathnames show up in the htsearch output for the other
> images including the htdig symbol on top, the numbered buttons on the bottom,
> and the star in the line, "More *'s indicate a better match.", for which the
> URL is "http://hea-www.harvard.edu/HEADDIG/star.gif". The correct pathnames
> are in the files in the common sub-directory. I've scanned the tree for some
> inappropriate reference to /htdig and cant' find one.

The compiled-in defaults in htcommon/defaults.cc that affect this are:

    {"image_url_prefix", IMAGE_URL_PREFIX},
    {"star_blank", "${image_url_prefix}/star_blank.gif"},
    {"star_image", "${image_url_prefix}/star.gif"},

This suggests to me one of two problems. Either this source file was
compiled before you set IMAGE_URL_PREFIX in the CONFIG file, so the
*.html and *.conf files that refer to it were installed correctly but
the compiled-in defaults were not set up correctly; or you redefined
star_image and/or star_blank incorrectly in your htdig.conf file.
A third possibility may be that your make program didn't properly
include the CONFIG definitions, or didn't pass them on to the compiler
for whatever reason. Your make log, if you kept one, may show the
problem.

In any case, all you need to do is define these attributes the way
you want them in your htdig.conf, and the compiled-in defaults won't
matter.