Re: [htdig] Search works using IE but fails with Netscape

Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:38:46 -0500 (CDT)

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Daniel Marek Gradzikiewicz wrote:
> > I found that if I use the restrict tag, it fails to work with netscape. No
> > matter what syntax...
> >
> > <input type=hidden name=restrict>
> >
> > once this was in the html code, Netscape would not FIND anything... while with
> > IE I would get some 1500 hits...
>
> Wait a second. You don't have anything in that restrict tag. Try something
> like:
>
> <input type=hidden name=restrict value="">
>
> I'd be interested to see the responses Netscape and MSIE sent. I would
> guess MSIE figured out the incorrect HTML and set value to empty. I have
> no idea what Netscape sent, perhaps garbage which could easily never match
> a URL of a result.

I just tried the incorrect input line above in a search form that uses the
get method, and sure enough, in the URI it sent to htsearch was the string
"restrict=++", which is taken as two spaces. Why it does this, I don't
know, but it does help weed out bad HTML, doesn't it? ;-)

Lynx seems to default to an empty string, as MSIE does.