Re: [htdig] Htdig 3.1.1

Andrew Kemp (andrew@swin.edu.au)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:27:12 +0000

Geoff Hutchison wrote:

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

> On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Andrew Kemp wrote:
>
> > Thanks - its been quite a busy few days and lack of sleep is not
> > helping.
>
> I know the feeling. :-)

The life of an admin :-)

> > I have upgraded/reinstalled libstdc++, gcc, etc when trying to compile
> > all versions
> > of htDig between 3.1.0b4 and 3.1.2 inclusive. This same machine also
> > runs the latest
> > DNS (bind-8.1.2), ISC DHCP, Apache 1.3.6, sendmail, etc. All have been
> > compiled
> > perfectly and without problems using the same compilers etc that htDig
> > uses. They all
> > most definitely call 'gethostbyname'.
>
> They don't quite use the same compilers etc. AFAIK, the programs you
> mention are all written in C, whereas ht://Dig is written in C++. As you
> posted yourself, it's using g++.

True - c vs c++. What I meant to say is that it is the same gcc/libstdc
compiler and
hence includes/libraries that it uses when installing.

> > All I can suggest is that your 'configure' script is flawed when trying
> > to select libraries. Hope this helps.
>
> I'd be glad to annotate the sections of the autoconf code in configure.in.
> The configure script only has to do library selection on machines
> requiring -lsocket or -lnsl. As you correctly point out, this isn't needed
> on Digital UNIX. There might be a problem with the Makefile and/or the
> C++ setup, but the configure script isn't the culprit.

Thanks for explaining this. Could you please offer any suggestions of
what to change
in order to try and compile htDig.

> I just tried 3.1.2 again, right from the website and it built cleanly.
> There must be something we're missing. The only difference I noticed just
> now is that I'm using gcc-2.7.2.2 v. your 2.8.1. Then again, did you say
> you could build versions before 3.1.0b4 without problems?

Sorry, no I didn't. I had a colleague recommend htDig when I was looking
around
for a replacement for harvest. The first version of htDig I tried was
3.1.0b4.

Could you please try compiling again but this time using 2.8.1 instead
of 2.7.2.2
Will be interesting to see what results you get.

Thanks.

Regards,

Andrew Kemp

--
Unix,WWW,Proxy,News,DNS,LDAP,... Administrator	Phone	: 61 +3 9214-8252
IT Infrastructure Services			Fax	: 61 +3 9214-8944