Re: [htdig] Htdig 3.1.1

Tue, 27 Apr 1999 00:10:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Andrew Kemp wrote:

> Thanks - its been quite a busy few days and lack of sleep is not
> helping.

I know the feeling. :-)

> I have upgraded/reinstalled libstdc++, gcc, etc when trying to compile
> all versions
> of htDig between 3.1.0b4 and 3.1.2 inclusive. This same machine also
> runs the latest
> DNS (bind-8.1.2), ISC DHCP, Apache 1.3.6, sendmail, etc. All have been
> compiled
> perfectly and without problems using the same compilers etc that htDig
> uses. They all
> most definitely call 'gethostbyname'.

They don't quite use the same compilers etc. AFAIK, the programs you
mention are all written in C, whereas ht://Dig is written in C++. As you
posted yourself, it's using g++.

> All I can suggest is that your 'configure' script is flawed when trying
> to select libraries. Hope this helps.

I'd be glad to annotate the sections of the autoconf code in configure.in.
The configure script only has to do library selection on machines
requiring -lsocket or -lnsl. As you correctly point out, this isn't needed
on Digital UNIX. There might be a problem with the Makefile and/or the
C++ setup, but the configure script isn't the culprit.

I just tried 3.1.2 again, right from the website and it built cleanly.
There must be something we're missing. The only difference I noticed just
now is that I'm using gcc-2.7.2.2 v. your 2.8.1. Then again, did you say
you could build versions before 3.1.0b4 without problems?