Re: [htdig] Htdig 3.1.1

Andrew Kemp (andrew@swin.edu.au)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 03:48:36 +0000

Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Andrew Kemp wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your email. Unfortuantely, I still have not yet been able to
> > compile htDig on Digital Unix 4.x. I have tried every time they announce
> > new version, and every time I get exactly the same result.
>
> I'm sorry if this seems redundant. I can't recollect a bug report about
> this, what result would that be. I have compiled every release since 3.1.0
> on a Digial 4.x box I have access to and there haven't been problems.

Geoff, thanks for your response. I first posted a message when trying to
compile
3.1.0b4 under Digital Unix 4.x and again for 3.1.0 and 3.1.1.

Here is the message I posted for 3.1.0b4 on the 02/04/99 :

Greetings,

I am trying to compile htdig v3.1.0b4 under Digital Unix using
gcc-2.8.1 and libstdc++2.8.1.1

I have encountered the following error and was wondering if someone
could help.

c++ -c -DDEFAULT_CONFIG_FILE=\"/usr/local/htdig/conf/htdig.conf\"
-I../htlib -I../htcommon -I../db/dist -I../rx/rx -I../include -g -O2
PDF.cc
c++ -o htdig -L../htlib -L../htcommon -L../db/dist -L../rx/rx -L/usr/lib
Document.o HTML.o Images.o Parsable.o Plaintext.o Postscript.o
Retriever.o SGMLEntities.o Server.o URLRef.o main.o ExternalParser.o
PDF.o ../htcommon/libcommon.a ../htlib/libht.a ../db/dist/libdb.a
../rx/rx/librx.a
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
/usr/bin/ld:
Unresolved:
__inet_addr(char const *)
gethostbyname(char const *)
getservbyname(char const *, char const *)
gethostbyaddr(char const *, int, int)
make[1]: *** [htdig] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr1/local/src/WEB/htdig-3.1.0b4/htdig'
make: *** [all] Error 1

Thanks - its been quite a busy few days and lack of sleep is not
helping.

Regards,

Andrew Kemp

And here is your response :

>I am trying to compile htdig v3.1.0b4 under Digital Unix using
>gcc-2.8.1 and libstdc++2.8.1.1

>Unresolved:
>__inet_addr(char const *)
>gethostbyname(char const *)
>getservbyname(char const *, char const *)
>gethostbyaddr(char const *, int, int)
>make[1]: *** [htdig] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr1/local/src/WEB/htdig-3.1.0b4/htdig'
>make: *** [all] Error 1

I'm not completely familiar with Digital UNIX, but this could be a
missing
link to something like -lsocket or -lnsl. I don't know why the configure
script didn't pick up on it, but if you have one or both of those
libraries, you can add them to the Makefile.config and it should go
away.

And a further message from yourself when you suggested I try a couple of
extra
libraries :

Hi Andrew,

>Sorry, but there is no -lsocket nor -lnsl. I would appreciate any other
>suggestions you may have. Noticed in your release announcement etc
>that you have access to Digital Unix and the product is supposed to
>run there.

Yes, I have access to a few Digital Unix boxes. In fact, I compiled a
copy
of the latest development code on a Digital box yesterday to show
someone
how it worked.

I took a look at "man gethostbyname" to check which library it's in:

NAME

  gethostbyname, gethostbyname_r - Get a network host entry by name

LIBRARY

  Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a)

So I'm pretty confused why your linker can't find the C library! What
version of Digital Unix are you running?

colrain:99grh: uname -a
OSF1 colrain.williams.edu V4.0 878 alpha

My manpage on ld says it searches the following directories:

   1. /usr/shlib

   2. /usr/ccs/lib

   3. /usr/lib/cmplrs/cc

   4. /usr/lib

   5. /usr/local/lib

   6. /var/shlib

These seem to make sense to me. Is there something I'm missing? Are you
using the Digital ld?

-Geoff

Now, please don't get me wrong. I would very much like to install htDig
here and
migrate to that search engine instead of harvest which we currently use.

I have upgraded/reinstalled libstdc++, gcc, etc when trying to compile
all versions
of htDig between 3.1.0b4 and 3.1.2 inclusive. This same machine also
runs the latest
DNS (bind-8.1.2), ISC DHCP, Apache 1.3.6, sendmail, etc. All have been
compiled
perfectly and without problems using the same compilers etc that htDig
uses. They all
most definitely call 'gethostbyname'.

All I can suggest is that your 'configure' script is flawed when trying
to select
libraries. Hope this helps.

> > It is mentioned on the htDig site that they support Digital Unix and I
> > have
> > spoken to the developer about this but still no joy.
>
> Which of us was that?

It was yourself Geoff :-)

Regards,

Andrew Kemp

--
Unix,WWW,Proxy,News,DNS,LDAP,... Administrator	Phone	: 61 +3 9214-8252
IT Infrastructure Services			Fax	: 61 +3 9214-8944