[htdig] Limit amount of found pages?

Jaap de Heer (jaap@pine.nl)
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 16:56:10 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I used htdig to index quite a large site as a test
(www.planetquake.com). The database takes up about 280 MB.
Now when I perform a search, the more matches htsearch
finds, the longer the search takes.
Sounds logical, but when you search for a word that happens
to be found on 7928 pages, the search takes about 15 seconds
and severely abuses the webserver.
Is there a nice way to limit this, so that you simply get no
more than, say, 1000 matches?
I guess another way to solve this 'problem' would be for
htdig to use a cache... could anyone tell me if this is
possible, and if not, if it's planned?

Thanks,

Jaap de Heer
Pine Internet