Re: [htdig] "Extra lines" and Htdigs variables

Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:48:28 -0600 (CST)

According to Shawn Patton:
> Thank you All on the topic of:
> "Directory structure 'virtual environment' problems"
> With you help I finally got all the paths to work!

Hey, good news!

> Now, I have another question ;-)
>
> I'm using PHP to parse the variables and build custom pages.
> ( Why I am not just using the default stuff I don't really know
> anymore ;-)
>
> Anyway, grabbing the variables from Htsearch and passing them
> to PHP appears to be not too... difficult except for knowing
> which line of the $result array ( as per Colin Viebrock's tutorial on
> devshed.com ) corresponds to what piece of information.
>
> As Collin stated, "an additional new-line is created after the
> $(STARSLEFT) and $(STARSRIGHT) variables".
>
> It appears to me that there is also an extra line created after
> $(PAGELIST). Is this true?

I don't see it, either in the code or in the output. I believe that's
incorrect.

> .. and is there any other extra lines after other variables that
> I should know of?

If you're going to use DESCRIPTIONS, be aware that it contains multiple
lines, and the number may vary. There's one line for each unique
description following an <a href=...> to the matched document. If you
use this, you'd need to follow it with a special code you'd scan for to
indicate the end of the list.

Apart from that, the only other variables I could see that would contain
newline characters are the ones that contain the select lists, e.g.
FORMAT, METHOD & SORT, which you likely wouldn't use in PHP anyway.
If you do use them, again you'd need to use a special end of list code.

> I looked at Display.cc and couldn't see if a newline was added
> or not.
>
> Thanks,
> -Shawn
>
> PS: I wish that all the variables were listed on one page in
> the manual :-)

They should all be in hts_templates.html! If you know of some that are
missing (or missplaced) please let us know.