Re: [htdig] Thoughts on searching by date range

Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:34:03 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, mike grommet wrote:

> If the user hasn't specified a time range
> Start date should consist of something like
> Jan 1, 1900, and end date should consist of today's server date.

Actually time 0 for UNIX boxes is Jan 1, 1970. Since some systems don't
allow negative dates (e.g. 1900), this is probably best.

> To return times in UTC… However, the user will specify their dates/times in
> Localtime. This will only make a difference on a few occasions but could
..
> Unexpected search results. I still have to work this out

One solution is to convert the user input. The problem is it's not quite
what the user expected... The other solution is to say that the user
*meant* UTC, so you're just comparing in the same timezone.

> I need to figure out what structure Doctime returns so I can compare it.

DocumentRef::DocTime() returns a time_t value. Thus after converting the
user input, you're comparing the same types. Normal comparisons apply.

> How do I keep the date requirements when viewing multiple pages of results…

I would have the code select results before you even get to showing
results. I would put this somewhere in htsearch.cc. If you want more
specific suggestions, we can move this discussion to
htdig3-dev@htdig.org...