Re: [htdig] Searches on Date Ranges

Shantonu Sen (ssen@mit.edu)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:39:04 -0500 (EST)

well, you could be really, really specific and have separate inputs in
your form
named "from-month" "from-day" "from-year" "to-month" "to-day" "to-year",
and then there would be no misinterpratation. i wouldn't imagine that this
would make the GET URL too big.

the other question is whether to reprogram htsearch to accept these
parameters, or have it accept a general date parameter DDMMYYYY and depend
on wrapper scripts to massage whatever users enter into an appropriate
format. it strikes me that wrapper scripts in general would give engine
administrators more flexibility, because you could have users enter dates
in standardized format (at least according to them) and translate to what
htsearch understands. so if a particular adminstrator wants to enter
"January 15, 1999", the wrapper script would parse this into 150199.