Re: [htdig] Searches on Date Ranges

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:32:29 +0200

On Die, 30 Mär 1999, Geoff Hutchison wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 nets@searchtools.com wrote:
>
>> Doesn't the HTTP header give you the file modification date? And I
>> sure hope it's in the format YYYY so it will work next year, too ;-)
>
>No, that's not the problem. We already get the date of the documents from
>the HTTP header. The problem is how you get the date from the *search
>form* since the most obvious solution (a text field for users to input a
>date) requires working out the date format.
>
>So my question is this: do we just limit the format? If so, what do we
>use? If not, how do we figure out the format used?

I think it should be up to the creator of the form how (s)he handles
input and formatting of time/date. Just provide a couple of variables
where to store the stuff. ISO time/date format will probably work
best because of its sortability.

That way one could use ISO time/date formatted values or ranges to
be directly passed to htsearch in some easy form whereas in a more
complex form time/date input could be done with some nifty form
fields, passed on to a wrapper that checks the entry, ISOifies it
and passes it on to htsearch.

IMHO htsearch should not be overloaded with features, but stay with
good ol' *nix philosophy of being a small tool that handles a part
of a problem. Other tools can do the rest. That would make htsearch
much handier in general and not restrict its use to a specific case.

just my 2 cc,
  Torsten