Re: [htdig] max_hop_count attribute

Geoff Hutchison (
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:28:08 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Patrick Dugal wrote:

> It would matter because documentation says that the max_hop_count
> attribute only works reliably when a complete index is created, not an
> update. If the updating works for you, I'll have to test it out

I didn't say updating works reliably (it's getting there, and it's
probably fine in the single server case). You asked about '-a' which just
means using alternate files. To update, you need to have old databases
with the same names around. If you use -a, this means those databases have
to have the .work name. Thus -a doesn't really have anything to do with
"updating" since it just changes the name of the databases used or

If you don't have old databases, even if you don't specify the '-i' flag,
there's nothing to use for an update. Thus it's functionally equvalent to
creating a complete index.

Does that make any sense?