Re: [htdig] Newbie Q: Functionality of htdig

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:33:06 +0200

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Geoff Hutchison wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Sasa Janiska wrote:
>
>> d) Also, I need the ability that htdig highlight the searched terms in the found documents.
>
>Actually *hilighting* in the documents isn't possible. Unlike the program
>you mention, ht://Dig doesn't store the actual document in its database.
>So to hilight the document, it would have to change the HTML on the
>website!

Well, I could imagine regex-replacing the output of htsearch in a
PHP/3 or CGI wrapper script which then would just pass the requested
URL on to another wrapper which in turn does the hilighting. That
way you won't get the document directly from the server but modified.
Together with the anchor feature of ht://Dig that would be exactly
what Sasa asked for.

cul8r,
  Torsten