Re: [htdig] Newbie Q: Functionality of htdig

Shantonu Sen (ssen@MIT.EDU)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 01:10:42 -0500

>> d) Also, I need the ability that htdig highlight the searched terms in
the found documents.

>Actually *hilighting* in the documents isn't possible. Unlike the program
>you mention, ht://Dig doesn't store the actual document in its database.
>So to hilight the document, it would have to change the HTML on the
>website!

actually, i could envision this as being possible by a few simple
extensions to htdig:

1) if there could be a new preference called "output_url", which unlike
"url_part_aliases", would only be used at the final stage in htsearch, and
each url would be parsed according to regular expression matching rules.
for example, you could have:

output_url: http://www.htdig.org/help/(.*) http://help.htdig.org/$1

which would obviously translate urls, and would be extremely far more
flexible than url_part_aliases.

2) a variable interface that is externally accessible, specifically a
variable $(SEARCH_STRING), which could be accessed from within htdig.conf
and inserted into any outputted result pages

by combining these, and a simple perl parsing script that finds occurences
of the search string (which it would figure out from $(SEARCH_STRING) ) and
inserts <B> </B> tags, you could make something to highlight the search
string:

output_url: http://your.site.org(/.*\.html)
http://your.site.org/cgi-bin/parse?$(SEARCH_STRING)&page=$1

i think even if being able to access the search string isnt feasible, the
regular expression matching would be really cool and really valuable.

shantonu sen