Re: [htdig] Newbie Q: Functionality of htdig

Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:49:58 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Sasa Janiska wrote:

> a) I want to be able to somehow build table of contents of the whole collection and be able to freely navigate
> through different books.

This is not really something ht://Dig does. Think "index" rather than ToC
when you think about ht://Dig. Personally, I'd probably look at various
document-publishing packages on UNIX. For example, there are RFT->LaTeX
converters and TeX does a nice job with tables of contents. Or you could
convert it to the texinfo format and read it with the "info" reader or
emacs.

> b) my documents are static, only from time to time I would maybe add some text into the whole structure,
> re-index everything and that's all, and just local search and retrieval.

This easy to do with ht://Dig, but as above, I think you're better off
turning them into something like texinfo.

> c) Folio Views has the ability for normal boolean search, as well as phrase searching and proximity
> searching. Proximity search is not really needed, but phrase search would be really nice.

Patience. ;-)

> d) Also, I need the ability that htdig highlight the searched terms in the found documents.

Actually *hilighting* in the documents isn't possible. Unlike the program
you mention, ht://Dig doesn't store the actual document in its database.
So to hilight the document, it would have to change the HTML on the
website!

> Is it possible to change an interface - to create custom form for search & retrieval and work find the results?

Both.

> Is there some tool to automate (some kind of text proccessor) to automate bulding of table of contents,
> because, RTF contains all different styles used in Infobase structure?

See above. ;-) To summarize, I'd look for a converter for RTF to texinfo.
Then you can have info take care fo the table of contents, index,
searching... Heck, searching for words uses emacs' interactive search...

There are other very good document processing and publishing formats
around. Check someplace like freshmeat.net or even Yahoo! for more.