Re: [htdig] Oracle or SQL back end?

Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:28:24 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Barry Zubel wrote:

> This will give a large speed and scalability increase - just what is
> required for some of the larger sites :)

I'm not so convinced there will necessarily be such a big increase. Of
course, it would help to see the code... But the Berkeley code is very
efficient, especially with the current database format. The database
format is being reworked to add some new features and improve speed and
scalability. The new format might work well on a SQL server or it might
not. Only benchmarks will tell. ;-)

I don't know of anyone working on a SQL backend. It shouldn't be hard.
Take a look at the DB2_db.cc file--the naive solution is just to code
interfaces for the ht://Dig Database class which requires Exists, Add,
etc. (This is not necessarily the *best* solution, but should at least
interface with a SQL database.)