Re: [htdig] Wrapper files

Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:32:44 -0600 (CST)

According to Aaron Turner:
> My understanding in reading the htsearch docs is that the only way to use
> different wrapper files (instead of header.html and footer.html) is to use
> a different config file for each. Since I want to use about 100+
> different wrapper files, this sorta, well sucks. Is there a work around
> to put this parameter in the web form?

There are a couple things that you can do.

First, the safe solution: you can make 100+ simple config files that
each contain something like so...

include: htdig.conf
search_results_wrapper: ${common_dir}/foowrapper.html

So you really have to maintain only the one main htdig.conf file, but the
separate config files that include it can override the default wrapper
(or header & footer) file.

Secondly, the unsafe solution: You can put a line like so...

allow_in_form: search_results_wrapper

then the search forms can select the wrapper file by defining
search_results_wrapper as an input parameter. Note that this is a
really BAD idea, because there's no checking at all done on the file
name, so anyone accessing your site could view pretty much any file
they wanted to by setting search_results_wrapper to what they want.
Even if you did something like...

allow_in_form: mywrapper
mywrapper: foo
search_results_wrapper: ${common_dir}/${mywrapper}wrapper.html

someone could use ../../../../whatever as the value for mywrapper to
get around this, but at least it would limit what you could view to
files that end in "wrapper.html".

Using separate config files is safer because htsearch checks that the
config parameter value contains no "." (in 3.1.1 or earlier) or "./"
(in the development snapshots).