Re: [htdig] Maxlength for $(WORDS)

Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:18:51 -0600 (CST)

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 11:19 AM -0500 3/17/99, Patrick Dugal wrote:
> >Does anyone know the maxlength for the $(WORDS) variable
> >which holds the query?
>
> There is no max length. Well, I guess it's limited by your total memory,
> but that would be a really BIG query.

Well, given that the query must fit in an HTTP GET (at least for followup
queries, if not for the original which can be handled by the POST method),
I'd say the practical limit is a little less than the total environment
variable space for a process on your system, or the maximum size of an
HTTP GET request allowed by your server, whichever is less. If your
really need to know, I guess you'd need to look for this info in the
man page for the exec system calls on your system, and the manual for
your http server. Either that or push it until it breaks! ;-)